Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Children of Cambodia..........

Early this year, somewhere in between graduation and work, I spent a brief time away in Cambodia. It was rather impromptu. I quickly agreed when our HCF colleagues had extended the invitation to my friend and I to be part of a healthcare conference. Our stay was pleasant, to say the least. We loved the city and the people. We hope we left some footprints behind. And we left soon after, with some priceless gifts. Christy and I helped ourselves to a variety of books, while waiting departure. And I must say that there 3 books I bought kept me occupied in the weeks prior to my working life. And it did do more than that; it brought me back in time to a moment in history I never really knew of. Quite surely, it opened my eyes to a simpler and more fragile world. **** As swiftly as the year has begun, I see its end in a matter of weeks. I have spent a reasonable amount of time considering the next phase in life. I have plans and vague ideas with no definite decisions. As always, I often forget to live in the present. I am unnerved by the many opinions of a 'bleak future'. Quite simultaneously, I am least interested by proposals of a better future and pursuits of greener pastures in a different land. Sometimes I allow myself little time to think, busying myself with work and every other commitment that takes center stage. Sometimes there isn't time to think or consider the many options in life. But today, I remember the children of Cambodia. I remember their pain and their fight for survival. I remember their determination to live. I remember their hopes for a better future. Sometimes we need the will and strength of child, to move on. To remain hopeful. To dream and to stay happy.... And tomorrow, is another day....

No comments: